When it comes to the best experience of online gaming, internet speed is the key. High internet speed and development in the gaming industry have changed the world of online gaming. Now you can play any game at your house through WIFI. Is 200 Mbps good for gaming or not? What speed do you need to get a smooth gaming experience? All answers, you will get in this article.
Online games require a good internet bandwidth to run games. High-speed internet helps you to focus on the game. On the low-speed internet, the game starts lagging so you can concentrate on the game. Game crashes or you suddenly come out from the game due to low speed.
Due to the internet connection, your gaming performance may affect. If games lag, it doesn’t matter how well-trained you are in the game, you can’t give your best. Let’s see is 200 Mbps speed is enough for gaming or not.
What Is Mbps?
Mbps stands for “Megabits per second”. This is a unit to measure the bandwidth of the internet. Mbps shows how fast or slow is an internet connection.
Mbps is the download speed of your internet connection. It is the maximum speed at which you can download anything from the internet on your PC or mobile. If you have a 5 Mbps connection means your maximum download speed is 5 megabits per second.
It doesn’t mean you always get maximum internet speed. Internet speed fluctuates every minute. Sometimes it goes down if the internet service provider server is down.
Mbps shows what maximum speed will you get. It also refers to the transfer speed to upload and download data. Upload speed is always slower than download speed. To get high internet speed, always choose high Mbps connection.
With a higher Mbps speed, files will be downloaded quickly. But to get high speed, you need to spend higher money.
Gamers always choose high Mbps speed because they need to download heavy games and files. Also, within the regular time period, they need to update games. With low speed, it becomes a time-consuming and irritating task.
Is 200 Mbps Good For Gaming?
The requirement of the internet speed depends on what you want to do with it. If you are doing only gaming, 200 Mbps internet speed is more than enough. The game will run smoothly with this speed without any lag and data packet loss.
If you are a single person in the house who is using the internet for gaming, less than 50 Mbps speed is enough for you. You can easily play any type of multiplayer game with this speed.
Professional gaming requires fast reflexes, a good strategic mind, and high-internet speed. A good internet speed plays important role in winning or losing.
People nowadays stream on YouTube while doing professional gaming. This process uses a high amount of internet. So, to stream on the YouTube at highest quality need 200 Mbps speed. 200 Mbps speed is also good for those who are sharing the internet with other players in the apartment.
Is 200 Mbps Good For PS4 Gaming?
You should have known the difference between internet speed requirements and recommendations.
200 Mbps is a very high speed. Not all gamers use this speed of internet connection because of its high cost. 200 Mbps speed is more than enough for PS4 or any other type of gaming console.
To play multiplayer online games on PS4 30-50 Mbps speed is enough. With this internet speed, you won’t face any lag in the game, even latency and packet loss won’t occur.
How To Check Internet Speed?
Companies claim high-internet speed but in reality, when you use their connection, you get less speed. High-speed is not available all time. But you can find what internet speed, you are getting currently.
There are many sites on the internet to check the speed of your internet connection. Open any site like speedcheck to find out what speed you are getting.
Open the site and press the test speed button. It will show you the download and upload speed of your internet. Some sites show speed scores in the Mbps and some in the percentage. You can also see the history of your previous test if you have ever done it on the site.
Internet speed is not the same whole day. Internet speed and latency can vary every minute. So, you should check 4-5 times a day to get a better idea about the speed. Note whole data and count its average so you would get a good idea about the internet speed.
What Internet Speed Do I Need For Gaming?
As a gamer, you know all games do not need equal internet speed the gaming. Required internet speed depends on the type of the game.
For high-graphics, first shooter, and multiplayer games, you need to upload your game movement and download other players’ movements at the same time in the game. To get this real-time experience, you need high-internet speed.
People who play turn-based games don’t require high speed. Like in chess, you make your move and wait for the opponent’s move. There is no fast exchange of data in turn-based games.
For normal games, the minimum internet speed is 3-6 Mbps. Below 3 Mbps speed, even turn-based games won’t work. For multiplayer shooter games, at least 50 Mbps internet speed is required. There should be no latency and no packet loss when you play the game. So, if you get 100+ Mbps internet speed, it would be good for gaming.
Internet Gaming Terms
Here are some terms related to internet gaming that you should have known.
- Lag – When there is a delay in the connection between the game server and a player, it calls lag. The game becomes frozen and the player can’t do anything when it lags.
- Latency – Every gaming device sends data to game servers. Game servers check data and send their response to the gaming device. How fast this process happens calls latency. If the server response rate is slower then the latency rate will be high. Try to connect games to your nearest server to keep latency low.
- Ping – When latency is measured in milliseconds, it is called ping. For a smooth and clean gaming experience, the ping should be low. In low ping, the game responds quickly.
- Packet Loss – Gaming devices send data to the gaming server in the form of packets. When packet data drop before reaching the gaming server, it is known as packet loss. This situation occurs due to low internet speed. If packet data is lost along the way, you need to send packet data again.
How To Improve Internet Speed To Get Better Gaming Experience?
- If you are playing the game on the PC, you should use an ethernet wired connection. A wired connection increases the speed of the data transfer. Ethernet wire provides a safe, faster, and reliable Internet connection.
- WIFI is common now. People use routers to increase WIFI speed and range. On the mobile, it is not possible to use a wired internet connection. So, whenever you are using WIFI to play games, always make sure, you sit near the WIFI device. It will give a stronger signal to mobile.
- Background apps use internet mobile data and slow down the internet speed. Close all auto download apps on the PC or mobile. In Windows 11 auto-download is on by default so close it from the setting. Also, close all recent apps on the mobile phone.
- If you are not getting good speed, check how many devices are connected to the WIFI. Disconnect all unnecessary devices. It will increase bandwidth for other devices.
- Once people install the router in the house, they never turn it off. It is recommended by many router companies you should turn off the router for a few minutes every week [if possible, every day]. This process increases router connectivity and power.
- Also, keep router firmware updated. Check router settings regularly and if there is any update for the router, install it.
- When multiple devices are connected to the router, you can set a bandwidth limit for every device. For this, go to the advanced setting of the router and set the bandwidth limit. Like children watch cartoon videos in the high-quality so it takes data and bandwidth. By limiting usage of the internet to their device, you can save the internet for other devices.
The gaming industry is growing rapidly. People want high gaming speed to get a lag-free gaming experience. Is 200 Mbps good for gaming? How much Internet speed do you need for gaming? All these questions are answered in this guide. At last, we want to say, 200 Mbps is a fair enough Internet speed to play games.